Turbo'd s.b. chev...in a 69 Camaro? maybe?

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Fri May 28 23:00:06 GMT 1999

On Fri, 28 May 1999, soren wrote:

>     Probably not right now, but recently (recent in the timeline of
> automotive technology, I think mostly the 1980s) Chrysler, Mitsubishi,
> Subaru, Buick, are the ones I have personally seen that have no stock
> intercooler.  And they did know about intercoolers then, evidently those
> particular models didn't require them.  I suppose that the masses who are
> used to naturally aspirated performance might rather have a low-boost,
> low-lag system where the turbo pushes air through about one foot of intake
> piping instead of 6 ft.

Most first-generation [meaning in the 1980s] car turbo systems were
non-intercooled. Later ones were sometimes air-to-air intercooled. A few
were liquid-to-air-intercooled. It roughly followed the "rule of 7" --
non-intercooled meant max boost about 7 psi, air intercooled meant max
boost about 14 psi, liquid intercooled about 21 psi.