Prom burners

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Mon May 31 15:01:58 GMT 1999

Geffro wrote:

> Hi folks
> I've been searching the diy--efi website without much luck
> Have read prog 101 but i dont understand any of it
> eg

Yes, this whole thing can be daunting at first, but gets easier
as you learn.

>  The PROM has tables and some program code. It maps into processor space
> from 0xd000 to 0xdfff. The ROM appears in the processor space from 0xe000 to
> 0xffff. Data space in the PROM is from 0x000 to 0x616. Code starts at 0x617
> and continues to the end of the PROM, 0xfff.

Sounds like the '747 ecm, good place to start. Try not to get
hung up on what is where. On this ecm, the tables are in the eprom,
along with some code. The rest of the code is in ROM. Other ecms,
it's all in the eprom.

> So to learn this where do i go ?
> I have collected a few proms that I'd like to read so can you good folk
> tell me what I need
> Is a prom reader an emulator and burner?cause i'd like to buy one
> whatever so i can start to work thiis out
> Cheers
> Geoff

A prom burner will allow you to read and burn eproms, no emulation.
Once a prom is read (see the ftp site index for a bunch of bins),
you can use promedit and a corresponding .ecu file to 'look' at
the tables (see incoming for SPK747.ECU and promedit.zip, i think).

You'll mostly be changing tables to tune a prom, so to speak.

BobR.