New Frontiers...

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 31 22:44:24 GMT 1999

> Hey All,
> Headed on to new frontiers...
> Traded the 95 LeSabre this morning... with 92,000 miles they gave me 12,500
> for it!!!
> Got a 97 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 4.0L V6.
> This thing is OBD_II.  I have a lot of info on OBD_II, but is there anyone
> here with any "ford specific" OBD_II links, knowledge etc?
> Thanks,
> Dave
> 97 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 (0-60 in under a day!)

I temporally gave up on Ford OBD2
seems to use initialization bits
defined by the Ford Standard Corporate Protocol
documents ES-F7LC-12K529-BA and ....CA
Have not visited by local Ford dealer lately for jokes
VPW is similiar to rs485  rs422
from what i recall the recv. work great
but transmitters don't
rather sensitve to impeadance matching.

http://www2.ari.net/avt-inc/download.htm
has some references, also rather helpful to
me when I first started in OBD2 if you
have interest in there development systems
have not talked to them since 96

http://www.okisemi.com/communicator/public/nf/docs/Intro-7017.html
has a interface chip, schematics and general J1850 info.
some of there pdf  can end up as txt on your web page.
i think you also need a one time registration.

Presently I have a rs232 to PWM PIC byte translator.
Have no Ford,  sometimes borrow a 96 snap-on to play with.
alex