Motronic 4.1 newbie--still struggling

Tom Parker parkert at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 10 11:38:00 GMT 1999

Derek Kaznoski <sweetpea1998 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I can hear a distinct hissing sound coming from around the bottom of the
>plenum chamber where it intersects with the engine or just forward of this
>area.  This hissing intensifies just after the throttle is blipped and
>before the engine responds.  It continues with decreased intensity as the
>rpm's rise.  To me, this sounds like an air leak, but I've never heard one.
>Could this sound be coming from something else, such as circulating coolant?

When this sort of problem is a possiblity with a carb, I've always been told
to spray something like wd40 around possible leak points. The extra fuel
richens the (rather lean) mixture and the revs rise.

If I understand efi correctly, when it is running in closed loop at idle, it
should be compensating for the extra air by putting in more fuel in. So adding
even more fuel (and wd40 doesn't run your engine so well) shouldn't make much
of a difference.

Worth a try, if spraying has any effect then there sounds like a problem to
me.

Tom Parker - parkert at ihug.co.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/