simulation of data

Al Lipper efi at cardozo.org
Mon Nov 22 20:58:32 GMT 1999

Dan, I'll try to answer your questions about ECU6.

> could i ask how do you get the simulated data for the various
> cars? is it a software package?
The data for the 78 Trans Am and the Pontiac 6000 was gathered by testing on
those actual vehicles.  In addition, I simulated test conditions for those
which could not easily be obtained on a real vehicle by using variable
resistors to create input signals in place of the MAP, Temp, TPS and EGO
sensors.  While using this test setup, I used a function generator to make a
pulse that was equivalent to the SP from the ignition coil (to simulate the
RPM input).  I will try to post more info on the simulator setup I used when
I get the chance.

> and if its possible to use the crankshaft sensor instead of an inductive
> pick up of the spark pulse. the crankshaft sensor is a hall effect sensor
> used in rover cars.
Yes, I don't see why not.  Of course, you probably would not need much of
the ignition pulse contitioning circuitry if you did that.

> by the way for the resistors there were some i could not find a
> exact value,
> like C5  which is  .1UF 6.6V  , the closest i could find is 0.1uF 6.3V.
> would it make a great difference?
No.  6.3v would be fine since that only operates on a 5v circuit.  Capacitor
voltages are maximum ratings.  You could use a 25v or 50v cap. if you wanted
(though it would physically be a bit large).  The tough-to-find resistors
can be substituted with values that are within 5% usually.  The .5ohm or
.1ohm resistors may be substituted with a piece of wire that has that
resistance (though electronic supply stores usually sell these, as does
digi-key).

Good luck.

			Al