diy fly by wire

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Sat Sep 11 18:59:48 GMT 1999

>> Ok, I'll bite. Electric cruise control units? Is there an aftermarket
>> (or cheap OE unit) I can get? The stock cruise control on the car is
>
>The late model Ford Aerostar uses it, I suspect a lot of other fords as
>well. Possibly others. Toyota used one a few years ago, not sure of current

Thank you to everyone who helped with info about cruise control stuff.
Now I have plenty of leads and feel pretty sure I can get something
to do the job. One thing in my favor is that I don't have to use the
stock TB or actuator cam. So, if the actuator has a longer, slower throw
than what I wanted, I can make up for it with a different TB cam and
spring.

As for safety, the first line is in the feedback loop that keeps the
TB lined up with the position commanded by the right foot. If the TB
is too far out of sync for too long (200-300 msec-ish), fuel and spark
are cut. When the PWM fuel pressure system is put in, the fuel pump
will be cut off also.  The second line of safety is a switch so the
driver can cut off fuel/spark/fuel pump. As you might guess there's a
whole lot of development going on all at once in this project, and I'd
really rather not have it get away from me.

Also by conincidence I was looking at some Eaton info and they have what
is basically a small TB, actuated by a vaccum/diaphragm type of thing.
Sort of like a very simple version of the cruise control actuator system.
$85 for the generic one, TB bore about 1.5" IIRC.

   Thanks again,
   Chris C.