WOT question

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Mon Apr 3 21:33:59 GMT 2000

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Bob Tom wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I don't know if it's appropriate to ask the following from this
> list.  If not, I apologize.  Use is strictly for at the track.
>
> My truck has a MAP speed density setup.  I bought, over the winter,
> a custom programmed computer (programmed for a blown/juiced Ram 360
> but computer is for a Dakota ... excellent price to take the gamble).
> My truck is mildly cammed with beefed valve train components,
> headers, ported tb, K&N open air cleaner and free-flow cat-back
> exhaust.
>
> Testing on the street with a scanner, dynoed last week and at the
> track last Sat.  At the track, the scanner shows that from the line,
> spark advance drops drastically from 32 degrees advance to 16-19
> degrees at WOT all the way down the track (to be expected since
> computer is calibrated to run 10 lb boost and 150 hp juice shot
> without detonation).  Street testing with scanner shows that timing
> is not retarded when not under WOT conditions.
>
> In general (not vehicle specific), can I send a MAP and/or TPS
> signal to the computer so that it does not know that I doing
> a WOT?  or is it a lot more complicated than this?  Again,
> I emphasize that this would be for track use only.

No.  The computer is using both of those signals to calculate fuel, so
you will lean out things and maybe damage something.

To know what may or may not help you probalby need to know which map
(in the computer) was modified to get less advance at WOT, and exactly
what kicks in the less advance, but probably what kicks in the less
advance is also used in the fuel calculation.

				Roger