Static electricity and Teflon fuel lines

Clay B clayb at sonic.net
Tue Apr 4 15:23:36 GMT 2000

> Stock neopreme, isn't conductive.
> The SS part about quarantees that there will be no static.
> Why Teflon, anyway?.  I've used neo., just fine.
> Grumpy

SS on the outside guarantees grounding, but not for the stretches of
tubing between fittings, and gasoline isn't conductive.

I wouldn't even be concerned about this, but I notice that "electrically
continuous" Teflon fuel line is available. Doesn't seem to me it should be
a problem, but I do wonder why they offer the stuff.

As for "why Teflon"... I had a bad experience once with the "black
crumbles" in a fuel system. I'm sure quality of neoprene is better these
days. But the cost of Teflon was identical, it is very durable, and it is
physically more compact.
- Clay