Intake manifold construction

Sean W Walsh Sean.W.Walsh at transport.qld.gov.au
Fri Apr 14 03:22:23 GMT 2000

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't construct an intake manifold using
Glass Reinforced Plastics?

I have an older 4 cyl lancia engine with a dual throat single carby and 4 branch
manifold. I'm converting this to EFI and want to create a port injection rampipe
style intake with a small plenium etc. GRP lends itself to "backyard" techniques
and since I have a bit of experience with boat construction I thought I'd give
it a go myself rather than getting something fabricated.

What are the problems I'm likely to face : different temperature expansion rates
of the inlet manifold (grp) and the head (alloy)?  fatigue from vibration? high
temperatures breaking down the epoxy?  I know there are epoxy resins available
that are rated to 150 degrees celsius so that should be enough (?) any other
suggestions?