Intake manifold construction

Seth sethea at mediaone.net
Fri Apr 14 03:34:57 GMT 2000

The DGEBA epoxy you are likely to use is not good for much over 100
degrees C. You could get a tooling epoxy, but even that is probably not
any good at 150C.  If you could get a flange of steel or aluminum and
extend it up a few inches, then graft on a plenum and runners of glass
and epoxy, that might keep the plenum cool enough. If it's a crossflow
head, then the intake will be cooler. If it's a single port face head,
then you may still encounter heat problems.  You might consider a
phenolic/glass composite flange, then graft on the runners and plenum.
The phenolix matrix will put up with the heat, and won't conduct enough
to do the epoxy/glass any harm, IMHO.  There is still the issue of
underhood convection at shutoff, however.

-Seth