Intake manifold construction

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Fri Apr 14 03:42:07 GMT 2000

> Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't construct an intake manifold using
> Glass Reinforced Plastics?

Its difficult to contruct for the average person, but if you can do it,
and not melt it on the engine, go for it.  The weight savings would be
worth the trouble in my opinion.  I tried to lay up carbon fiber for a
Buick V6 intake, and quickly discovered its waaaaay out of my ability.

> and since I have a bit of experience with boat construction I thought I'd give
> it a go myself rather than getting something fabricated.

> What are the problems I'm likely to face : different temperature expansion rates
> of the inlet manifold (grp) and the head (alloy)?  fatigue from vibration? high
> temperatures breaking down the epoxy?  I know there are epoxy resins available
> that are rated to 150 degrees celsius so that should be enough (?) any other
> suggestions?

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology
769 Sylvan Ave #9