EPROM Eraser not erasing New EPROM

mike mager mikemager at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 14 23:50:40 GMT 2000

"93 Formula" said about erasing his UVEPROM:

>Keep those ideas coming - someone's bound to win the grand prize give away!
>:-)

Al-a-righty, then!

Can you _prove_ that you are really reading the memory?  A typical 'memory
check' algorythm would do it (and you can do it 'by hand');  an ultra-simple
first stage would be:

Program(!) each location:

00000000 with 00000000 (00)
00000001 with 00000001 (01)
.
.
.
11111111 with 11111111 (FF)

. . . and so on;  you can enter the data by hand (yick!), or write a trivial
program to create it.  There are more stages, inverse patterns, combination
patterns, and stuff, but can you really read it/write it at all?

I want to know!
Do you have a data line open/grounded/tracking another, and the same for
address lines?  This simple type of test is a 'first stage' in determining
the answers to these questions.

BTW, it is merely high school level technology to remove (I dare to say!)
_any_ IC - SMT or through-hole;  a socket may usually then be
installed/adapted.

As they say, "this ain't rocket science"!

I had a PIC MCU that was reluctant to erase once, but that was after I had
already exceeded its erase 'life';  an extra-long session on the Datarase
did erase it, in the end, and the PIC verified and worked just fine.

As far as 'destroying' a UVEPROM cell, if it clears, and if it verifies,
then it is good (this is not NASA).

'They' say that a foil label is the only sure way to 'protect' a programmed
memory (not a 360KB floppy write-protect paper label!).

My friend/roommate Sean works for OSC (Orbital Sciences Corporation) - the
only private company to _successfully_ orbit a payload - and he _does_ need
to deal with rocket science and NASA! (laugh now)

Good results, Jeff,
Mike (what a mess I've made!)