Aftermarket ECUs - Followup

Jurgen Hartwig turbo6bar at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 16 14:58:55 GMT 2000

I've been doing some additional research via the web in the interim.  The
Haltech E6 series are very capable and can be tuned on the fly.  They appear
to be one of the top makers in the industry.  If I had the money, I would
probably buy an ECU from these guys.  However, their ignition module is not
standard and must be purchased as an option.  The price I found for the E6K
kit is $1395 with 2 bar MAP sensor.  All the bells and whistles included for
most wild and mild combinations.

The next ECU I considered is the SDS EM3-F.  This kit comes in at around
$1100 for the 4 cylinder application and has provisions for DIS operation.
However, while the starting price is relatively small, you still have to
purchase items like MAP sensors and additional items, which begin to add up.
  With the E6K only a few hundred more, the SDS system seems to be less
attractive.

The last ECU I mentioned is the Wolf EMD 3D.  Despite their lack of a
creative name, as Grumpy suggested, I think they have the best combination
of price vs. features.  Unlike the Haltech unit, and like the SDS setup, the
Wolf 3D EMS is setup via a slick handheld unit.  It has a fairly ugly Wold
3D on the cover of the unit, but I certainly won't have it laying around in
the car much anyway.  Wolf's product is very much complete.  It comes with
MAP sensor and all the other sensors, similar to the Haltech E6K, but
includes the controls for ignition.  The only items one would need to
provide would be the manifolds, fuel system, injectors, crank trigger, and
coil ignitors.  The price for this setup is $1206 for the setup complete
with 2 bar MAP.  I downloaded the owner's manual off their site and read it.
  I was quite impressed, but that doesn't take much!

I haven't found any dealers or distributors, or even a website for the
Microtech product.  According to one post, they are cheaper than even the
Wolf 3D system.  I would very much like to get some info on this company.
If anyone has any contact info, preferably websites or manuals, please
forward them to me.

I will be leaving the US for a month.  I sure wish my trip took me through
AUS.  It seems that almost every aftermarket ECU out there is produced in
AUS.  Suprised me, for sure.

If there are any other ECUs I am forgetting, please let me know.  My budget
is between $750-$1500 for fuel injection AND ignition setups.  That price is
ECU kit only.

Jay