OT: Adding a TPS

Matthew mivan at ozonia.com
Wed Apr 19 13:02:41 GMT 2000

A little off topic but I was wondering if anyone has experience with adding
a tps to a car not originally equipped with one? I have an aftermarket boost
controller (Apex'i AVC-R) that uses throttle position as one of its inputs
to set the boost curve. Unfortunately my car does not have the required tps
sensor, just an idle and full throttle switch.
    I can use one that goes from either 0-5 or 5-0 V as the input is
selectable. Supposedly california and automatic versions of this car use a
different control scheme and have a tps. Unfortunately the tb, ecu, and of
course some of the wiring is different. Too expensive and time consuming to
swap to this setup just to gain a tps.
    Any suggestions as to how I should go about implementing a tps?
Obviously I will need somthing with the same range of motion as my throttle,
or one that has an adjustable range. Is what I am proposing feasible, or
more difficulty than its worth? I don't need the tps to use the boost
controller, but it would be nice to be able to use all the features of the
boost controller.
    Feel free to offer up any and all suggestions. Criticism is welcome as
well, but I am new to all this so go easy.

Thanks,
Matt