Digital dash

Matt Cramer mac9 at po.cwru.edu
Tue Apr 25 14:01:45 GMT 2000

	I've been thinking about building a digital dash for my Dart.  While I
could put together a circuit on my own that does LED bargraph readouts
without too much trouble, a three digit digital readout would be more
accurate.  Yesterday I decided to see if I could find any sites on the
Internet that might list what kind of IC's might be helpful in such a
circuit.  I got as far as figuring out that I could use some kind of off
the shelf 8-bit ADC, but is there some kind of chip that will take the
output from an ADC and use it to control a (preferably three digit) LED
display?  If so, what's it called, and who makes it?
	This would be enough for me to put together a digital temperature gauge,
fuel gauge, or similar gauge, but I'm also wondering about tachometers and
speedometers, as a digital tach would be a nice addition.  Is there some
kind of IC that will accept the kind of signal I can get from the
distributor as an input, and return a value that corresponds to its
frequency, or something else I could use for this?
	Thanks in advance.  There seems to be so many kinds of IC's out there, I'm
not sure where to start!

Matt Cramer
'66 Dart, no EFI (yet)