Digital dash

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Tue Apr 25 15:09:39 GMT 2000

A digital dash is not that difficult to do, both digitally controlled and
analog controlled.

For analog in, nat semi has a chip, the LM3914 which takes a 0-1V input and
spread it across 10 LEDs.  Two of these chips could make a 0-1V 20 LED scale
for more resolution, or a 0-2V scale if you perfer.  Most of the aftermarket
$100 oxygen sensor digital readouts are based on this premise. (Most o2
sensors produce 0-1V).  You can use op-amps to change the scale accordingly.

>From a digital perspective, its a matter of taking a certain number of bits
and making a readout in bargraph format.  I designed and started assembling
a dash for my mid-engine car, each graph having 16 rectangular LEDs.  16
LEDs translates into 4-bits... $0 to $F in hex.  So, the digital dash has a
single 8-bit input - the high order 4 bits (nybble) represent the gauge
address, and the lower 4-bits indicate the value.  Using simple 74LS154's
for the gauge display drivers for the bar graphs, and 74LS47's for the seven
segment displays, it was pretty easy to build.  Then, whatever I drive this
with, could be something as simple as a parallel port off a PC, any 8-bit
microprocessor, etc.