Digital dash

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Tue Apr 25 18:22:47 GMT 2000

Another idea, for $400 you could probably buy an old color laptop from
ebay, and write some software to display gauges.  That opens other
interesting ideas also, like running Diacom (or carbytes) right in your
dash, MP3 software, etc. etc.  A 16C74 PIC with 8 A/D inputs could
interface to the gauges, pass the info to the PC over the serial port,
and the PC draws the gauges.

--steve

Charles Morgan wrote:

> Matt, I noticed in the new Summit catalog (pg 274) the "Intellitronix
> Create-A-Dash Digital Gauge Kit".  It's listed at $399.95, but includes 6
> gauges, all senders except for the fuel gauge, and a sheet of smoked
> acrylic to mount the gauges.  The tach and speedo are 3-3/8" and the
> voltmeter, oil pressure, fuel level, and water temp gauges are 2-1/16".
> Two of the small gauges are 3-digit (water temp and  voltmeter) and the
> other two are 2-digit.  By the time you're done designing your own gauges,
> ordering the parts, building the printed circuit boards, etc., $400 might
> look cheap.
>
> Charlie Morgan
>
> At 10:02 AM 4/25/00 -0400, Matt Cramer wrote:
> >       I've been thinking about building a digital dash for my Dart.  While I
> >could put together a circuit on my own that does LED bargraph readouts
> >without too much trouble, a three digit digital readout would be more
> >accurate.  Yesterday I decided to see if I could find any sites on the
> >Internet that might list what kind of IC's might be helpful in such a
> >circuit.  I got as far as figuring out that I could use some kind of off
> >the shelf 8-bit ADC, but is there some kind of chip that will take the
> >output from an ADC and use it to control a (preferably three digit) LED
> >display?  If so, what's it called, and who makes it?
> >       This would be enough for me to put together a digital temperature gauge,
> >fuel gauge, or similar gauge, but I'm also wondering about tachometers and
> >speedometers, as a digital tach would be a nice addition.  Is there some
> >kind of IC that will accept the kind of signal I can get from the
> >distributor as an input, and return a value that corresponds to its
> >frequency, or something else I could use for this?

Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com
ARM,Inc.
www.arm.com