Digital dash

Matt Cramer mac9 at po.cwru.edu
Tue Apr 25 21:25:08 GMT 2000

	Yeah, I'm aware of those, but first, $400 (or even the $228 a different
Intellitronix kit costs) is really a lot more than what I was looking to
spend.  I was hoping to pull this off for somewhere under $100, using my
original sending units - does this sound all that unrealistic?  I'm not
really that sure.
	Second, I was hoping to fit the digital readouts into the stock gauge
location - the original gauges are a little over half an inch tall, about
two inches wide, maybe three inches deep, with a vertical needle.  Quite an
odd setup compared to most gauges I've seen.  A three digit LED readout or
a bar graph would fit into an original guage socket almost like it was
designed with one in mind.  Unfortunately, the printed circuit boards
backing the LED displays included with the Intellitronix kit are too large
to fit where the stock gauges go.  But that is kind of a commercial version
of what I was hoping to build, except I'll probably retain the stock
speedometer.
	And a laptop would be even worse for that purpose - I can't for the life
of me see how I would incorporate that into the stock dash.  And if the
laptop were driving LED gauges, it wouldn't save me any of the fabrication
trouble.  Plus, I don't want to have my speedometer get shut down for
performing an illegal operation, which would be pretty likely given the way
I write programs!

Matt Cramer