Digital dash

Matt Cramer mac9 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Apr 26 14:43:15 GMT 2000

	Before putting too much trouble into designing something like this, you
might want to see if you can read an LCD display through a polarizing
filter.  LCD displays use several polarizers in them already.  I can't
remember which way they're oriented, but it's possible this setup might
make the screen completely unreadable, or require a polarizer angle that
won't do much to keep out glare.

Matt Cramer

At 12:17 AM 4/26/2000 -0400, you wrote:
[snip]
>My problem with a laptop display of any sort is such that its too big,
>and won't fit between the steering column and the top of the dash, which
>in my mid-engine car design, will be about six inches, tops (plus the
>thickness of the dash, I'm talking usable space here).  However,
>something that occured to me this evening, after reading several
>messages, is why not stick the display in the dash, but flat on its
>back, facing up.  Then, place a mirror in front of it, angled forward,
>so the display is reflected backwards to the driver.  Put a polarized
>filter/acrylic/glass plate in front of the mirror, parallel to the
>driver's eyes, keeping the unpolarized light out, hence the glare.  This
>would make for a nice display.
[snip]