Question about BSFC on a fuel injected car.

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Thu Apr 27 21:39:18 GMT 2000

>Here is some background:
>There is a person on the f-body fourth-gen list whose car is running
>at a BSFC of .33 (calculated from the engine dynos lb-hr and
>horsepower rating).
>
>Can a fuel injected car run reasonably with that low of BSFC?

1. What's his compression ratio? --higher will give lower BSFC.

2. Is he using coatings (piston crowns, chambers, valve heads)--this will
help lower it.

3. He must be running a pretty mild cam.

4. Must be getting awfully good fuel atomization (higher than usual fuel
pressure?)

5. Must have REALLY nice chamber shape/piston crown design AND really tight
squish clearance.

6 18: 1 a/f would be OK for cruising type loads IF it was lighting and
burning smoothly.

7. At WOT, he would be getting a whole lot more power if he richened it
down to about 13 : 1!!

BUT--the first thing I would check carefully would be the calibration of
his dyno equipment!! (Maybe it reads in California HP!

It would take a _LOT_ of skill, and a bit of luck, to get the BSFC down
this low!

Greg