Question about BSFC on a fuel injected car.

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Thu Apr 27 22:15:32 GMT 2000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Carl Summers wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>      I have seen some finely tuned Pro Stock engines in the high .3's at
> ~13:1 but I would have to venture that his .33 is coming from his 18:1
> AFR....I'm thinking 18:1 is so lean it won't even damage the engine....I
> have never heard of a self contained dyno that also tuned but doesn't mean
> it doesn't exist,   curious as to how a guy on the F-body list would have
> access to it :)  If it is a self tuning dyno then there probably is a
> programmable desired AFR so he needs to set that at 12.5:1 and start leaning
> from there in my opinion....ttyl
> -Carl Summers

The answer to the access is that is is the (his) engine builders dyno.

I don't know what it is tuning to and was rather suprised that the
dyno was running things.

He is going to need bigger injectors to get much better AF ratios.  He
is running 24lb ones right now and hitting a duty cycle of .85 at
6000rpm (about redline, it is a 396 stroked 350 LT1 SB).

My guess is that it does have good pistons so that would increase how
long things would last at bad AF ratios.

				Roger