Mopar heated O2 sensor question

Rich M rsrich at cwcom.net
Tue Feb 1 14:55:40 GMT 2000

The 4-wire heated sensors I have dealt with (mainly Bosch), incorporate a
positive temperature coefficient function in the heater, so as the sensor
heats up the resistance increases, reducing the current drawn from 12V
supply, while maintaining temperature. You can check this easily; apply 12V
power to the heater and measure the current as it warms up - if the current
drops off then it's probably OK to connect to ignition switched 12V supply.
My experience is mainly Bosch Motronics, this is what they do.

Rich