DIY_EFI Digest V5 #15:Knock Sensors

Carter Shore clshore at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 12:52:41 GMT 2000

Ouch!
Geez Grumpy, gimme a break. I was replying to the
original post by brucep at ptd.net, not to your reply,
(got my Bruce's mixed up).

You've probably forgotten more than I'll ever learn on
this subject, and I appreciate the fact that you are
willing to share it with us.

But bear with me a second. I'm facing a similar
problem to the dyno-building Bruce (he is testing
tractor motors). The problem is that no one has
applied knock sensors to my engine (at least not the
manufacturer). Maybe there's a KS that will work,
maybe not. I've seen a spec sheet for Ford KS that
specifies the resonant frequencies for some, but not
for any other manufacturers.

Since I have worked professionally with noise and
signal analysis, I looked to the tools that I used
every day for years. Spectrum analysis is one of them.
It's just a measurement tool, not abstract theory.

When I was in the biz, the instruments cost thousands
of dollars. Now it's free for the downloading.

I believe that a lot of list members would find a
simple cheap system for detecting knock very
accurately on any motor a useful tool. Maybe you too.

I'll share whatever I find with the list, if there's
any interest.

Even if turns out to be BS, at least we will have
found out what does not work, and move on.

Thanks,

Carter