DIY_EFI Digest V5 #29

Torstein Moshuus tmoshuus at start.no
Wed Jan 19 19:46:23 GMT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: DIY_EFI Digest <DIY_EFI-Digest-Owner at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
To: <DIY_EFI-Digest at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 11:00 AM
Subject: DIY_EFI Digest V5 #29

> DIY_EFI Digest       Wednesday, January 19 2000       Volume 05 : Number
029

> In this issue:
>
> Re: Lamda sensor mounting
> RE: Lambda sensor mounting
> Re: DIY_EFI Digest V5 #27
> Leaded EGO sensor
> Re: Leaded EGO sensor
> Re: lamda sensors
>
> See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the
> DIY_EFI or DIY_EFI-Digest mailing lists.

> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 20:00:39 -0000
> From: "Gareth Jones" <garethjones at lycosmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Lamda sensor mounting
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running a Mini with a highly tuned A series engine (100bhp from a
> > 1.3litre). It has a carb and Distributer but I am thinking about adding
> > Lamda sensor with a dash mounted gauge so that I can Keep an eye on the
> > mixture.
> >
> > Where in the exhaust system is the best place to mount the sensor? Close
> > the head? 6ft down the exhaust? I have a Long center branch exhaust
> > manifold which doesn't bring the ports together for about 3ft after the
> > cylinder head. The manifold is also new (and expensive) so I would
prefur
> > to mount is in the exhaust if it doesn't affect the reading.
> >
> > I plan to get a sensor from a car in a scrap yard are there any UK
(comon)
> > makes of cars that have better Lamda sensor than others?
> >
> > In the UK they recently banned Leaded petrol. They made Lead replacement
> > petrol available to 'replace' it. Does LRP clog lamba sensors like
Leaded
> > petrol does? I can run Unleaded but LRP has Higher Octane rating than
> > Unleaded and is cheaper than Super Unleaded.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ade
> >

> Hi Ade,
>
> I had a mini catalogue a while ago which listed an LCB Y peice with a boss
> for mounting a lambda sensor. Unfortunately I can't find the catalogue
> anymore, but I would suggest you try the usual big suppliers MiniSpares,
> MiniSport, MiniSpeed, etc. I bet you non mini owners just can't believe
the
> cunning originality in these names ;-) Or maybe even try going directly to
> somebody like Maniflow. Either way it would be cheaper than wrecking a
whole
> LCB.
>
> Gareth Jones
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:18:58 -0000
> From: "Rich M" <rsrich at cwcom.net>
> Subject: RE: Lambda sensor mounting
>
> Ade,
> I've no experience with minis but I have done the same as you propose with
> 2.0 pinto engined Escort and 1.8i Vauxhall Cavalier. I mounted in both
cases
> at the end of the manifold/downpipe (below floor level, using a heated
Bosch

From: Torstein Moshuus 19.Feb.00
 tmoshuus at start.no

Re: Location of lambda sensor

The sensor should be as close to the the exhaust outlet as possible. In case
of Al´s
Mini I would suspect that he should locate the adaptor as close to the end
of the manifold as possible. The sensor does not give reliable readings
unless heated to approx. 600 degrees (F). A heated sensor would be less
dependent on temperature (of course).
Incidentally what kind of instrument are you using in order to measure the
very low voltages we are dealing with here ( less than 1 volt and a pretty
high impedance looking into the sensor) ?
rgrds