Minimum to run GMECM?

Mike Pitts mpitts at emi.net
Fri Jan 21 04:38:17 GMT 2000

In a generic sense, I would think the following are minimum.

+12V and Ground...duh ;-)
MAP or MAF depending on ECU type
TPS
Coolant Temp
Air Temp
Tach signal
O2 sensor <- don't skimp on this!
Maybe a cam sensor

Some controls (like EGR) have circuitry in them which is used by
the ECU to detect their existance and proper operation.  Without
some of these controls, you would probably get several error codes,
which may put the ECU in a limp or semi-limp mode.  I would definately
hook up the SES lamp and have a tool like Diacom available.

For the VSS, if the ECU thinks the trans is in gear and sees an RPM
of say >3000 for example, it may flag a VSS error code.  VSS affects
the engine control in some models more than others.  If you could just
get any kind of decent pulse to the ECU when the vehicle is moving,
that would probably be enough for it to determine coasting vs stopped.

If it were me, I'd grab everything I could off the donor car, especially the
harness.  And try to put it all into use, except for the cannister purge and
EGR (yeck!).

JMO

Good luck,
-Mike