Holley Projection 2D [long]

Rich Schimmelbusch rschimmelbusch at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 26 18:51:38 GMT 2000

"Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net> wrote:
> .......why not wire it to a 1227747 (gm ecm), get
> a copy of the demoware from Tunercat, a chip burner, an eraser, and some
> spare proms, and custonize a good computer to your needs.
>    I don't know if any of the holleys use an IAC, might need to get Howell
> to modify it, or get one from a junkyard, the BBC have a 2" butterfly
> Grumpy

This thread is timely for me as I want to start this project on my SBC.  I sent
Howell an e-mail asking about their 4bbl kit, along with a fairly detailed
description of my application, and all I got back was "the 4 bbl kit has been
discontinued.  What year car is this going into."!!  So now I have a re-worded
query pending with them regarding the 2 bbl kit.  Maybe they'd like to sell one
of those...

It sounds like IAC is the mod required on the Holley TB to make it work?  Does
anyone know which Holley TB is a candidate for the modification, analog, D, or
Di, or is there a difference?  Nothing a competent machinist couldn't handle,
right?  Can everything else remain stock?  Harness?  (Howell sells a modified
harness one...)  I would prefer a 4 bbl TB; are there any stock solutions that
would bolt to a square or spread-bore flange?   As far as 2 to 4 bbl adapters
go, hood clearance is tight already.

Here is what I wrote them:
> ....355 c.i. Chev small block with forged flat-top pistons built around an
> Edelbrock Performer cam (204/214 deg. @ 0.050 in., 0.420/0.442 in.) and manifold
> (idle-5500 rpm) package.  The engine uses iron L31 Vortec heads, exhausting through
> 1 5/8 x 36 in. headers.  The headers will be replaced and I will probably use a
> "shorty" style.  This is installed in a 1979 z/28 (3700 lbs.) currently in front
> of a THM 350 automatic (2.52/1.52/1:1), but probably to be replaced by a THM
> 200-4R (2.54/1.57/1:1/0.67).  The rear gears are 3.42.

Hmmm, it does say what year the vehicle is... so their tech weenies can't read
either.

> .... The idea of using production chevrolet parts with their attendant ease of
> replacement also appeals to me.  I would like use the 1227747 computer, components
> (distributor, etc.), and sensors from the '87-'90 GM TBI system.  Since I am using
> the Vortec heads and Edelbrock manifold, I obviously need to use a throttle body
> assembly that will bolt on a square or spread-bore flange.  I am able to change
> camshafts if recommended, but I don't think I am able to go to the Performer
> RPM manifold due to hood clearance considerations.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me in these matters!
--
Rich
mailto:rschimmelbusch at .att.net
coming soon http://www.RainierAviation.com