Water injection (was: Re: fuel cooling intake air)

Axel Rietschin Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com
Mon Jul 10 22:30:53 GMT 2000

<000501bfefb0$69662e50$1201a8c0 at fotowire.com> <02a001bfea99$f839d9e0$0a258fd1 at nonea878d5l7jw> <007801bfeab5$16a49c10$1201a8c0 at fotowire.com> <044d01bfeab7$a38ee930$0a258fd1 at nonea878d5l7jw>
Subject: Re: Water injection (was: Re: fuel cooling intake air)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:31:02 +0200

From: "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
> Bzzt, now your just playing word games.

Haha! look wo speaks! :)

>  Now can you
> > please mention the name and type of one or more electronic engine
> management
> > systems likely to be found in a modern turbocharged car, that don't use
> ACT
> > as an input parameter?
>
> If by ACT, you mean intake air temp in the "plenum",  Buick Gns

I just meant "ACT as an input parameter". The sensor is not necessarily in
the plenum. For example, it can be integrated to the AFM if there is one.

> > So no, the turbo will not be spinning any faster.
>
> To have the same boost, yes it will.

No it wont. re-read the "100% of the room made" sentence, then stop for a
minute and think.

> > And, by the way, what is the "limiting factor based on boost"? air speed
> at
> > the turbo intake? compressor wheel speed? losses in the induction
system?
> > engine's VE, fuel available? detonation?, exhaust back pressure? turbine
> > housing flow?
>
> Depends on engineering, tuning, like you mention can be numerous items.

..including, but not limited to, all of what I've mentionned. So, no, the
pressure in the inlet is not *by itself* a limiting factor for the boost
level an engine can reach, thus, even if different laws governs what happens
in your own engine, creating more "room" will not cause the turbo to
magically accelerate.

> > > ME, overkill, IMHO.
> > > Get so clever and precise, anything slightly wrong and total system
shut
> > > down.  Nope.
>
> > Different point of views.
>
> Nope, again I'm right.  You just fail to see the other view.

Modern ECUs just happens to be "clever and precise" and last time I checked,
reliability was not such a problem, so why not apply the same concept for
WI, too?

> as you approach max torgue, and continues to max HP

What's the difference? same amount of work, different rate.

>  Does this speed fall in the diesel engines operating
> > range? Below that speed, what the water is useful for, beside as an
> > in-cylinder coolant and detonation retardant?
>
> Define diesel's operating range..

Low rpm. Now please answer the question: what's the 'magic' speed?

--Axel