EFI fuel pump and water.

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Thu Jul 13 20:02:35 GMT 2000

The reason I found that page was that I was specifically thinking
of using ultrasonic evap for water injection. I wanted the
ability to finely modulate water flow, also the physical layout
worked very well in my intended app. Particle size can be super
small... maybe too small for WI use.

The main problem is the mass flow rate needed, it's pretty high by
small evaporator standards. Such units do exist, and could even fit,
my application is the bottom of a deep plenum, ~13" x ~6" at the
floor.

The problem is the power drain, something like 30W for 1 lb/hr,
and the cost of the ultrasonic heads. (You'd need a bank of several
to hit those flow rates.)  You could run them off of 12v, since
there has to be a converter anyway; the transducers run 50-100W,
in the range of 1-4 MHz. Yes megahertz, a few range as low as
800 KHz. It would be instant on, also flow rate is very easy to
modulate over a wide range, and the setup is lightweight.

I had a nice long talk with an engineer at one of the transducer
manufacturers, after which I dropped the idea. (Might pick it
back up as a supplemental system tho.) The best bet for those
seriously interested is to crack open the wallet and get a
bunch of the commercially available ultrasonic mister nozzles.