fuel pressure and regulators

Bob Cunningham bobc at shell2.tiac.net
Thu Jun 1 13:25:40 GMT 2000

In theory a regulator would work, but I'm not sure they are designed to
regulate that much of a pressure swing- most of the ones I know of are
designed to regulate something like 15 PSI down to 7 PSI, I don't think it
would regulate from 50 PSI accurately and consistantly.  Kinda like a 200
pound man stepping on a scale made for weighing 35 ton trucks- you're
outside of the range of the equipment design to count on an accurate
output.

If you want, the Holley Blue pump is designed for a pretty good flow rate
at about 15 PSI, and comes with a regulator.

If you insist on using a TBI pump, you might try to regulators in series-
the first one to get it in the right ballpark, then the second one to
fine-tune to the pressure you're looking for.  But there's still no
guarantee with this arrangement, as I'm not positive the first one will
reduce all the way from 50 to 15.

If you want a small inline pump for a carb, Holley sells one for the
Projection that is made for a decent flow rate and around 15-20 PSI, then
you could probably regulate okay from there since you're already in a
close range.

-Bob Cunningham
'69 Buick Special w/ 455