fuel pressure and regulators

grobbins grannys at sos.net
Thu Jun 1 15:11:37 GMT 2000

The scheme I often employ when installing a carb'd engine in a EFI'd car, is to
install a "Y" between the pressure and return lines in the engine compartment,
with the 3rd leg going to the carb.. This relieves the high fuel pressure down
to near nothing. With a pressure gauge on the carb leg (and the pump running), I
gradually crimp the return line until the pressure at the gauge rises to around
8 psi. A regulator is then installed to drop the pressure from the 8 psi to
around 4 psi for the carb.

By using the return loop, the pump is constantly circulating fuel, which serves
to cool the pump.

Grant