keeping a turbo spooled/energy management

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Wed Jun 14 22:20:37 GMT 2000

At 12:06 AM 6/13/00 -0400, Bruce Plecan wrote:

>Oh, I think it applies to just about anything that worries about effecincy.
>Using software / hardware to keep a turbo spooled up is my big concern.
>Funny how so much ties into ecm stuff

Along these lines, I'm working with a couple other fellows trying
to do various things intended to greatly reduce turbo lag. Or at
least that's the desire. Part of where this is coming from is
wanting to keep the turbo spinning fast during cruising, like you'd
get from a draw thru setup, but w/o needing a turbo that's fully
spec'ed to run with high vaccum in the inlet. (e.g. keep the throttle
after the turbo.) One thing we're working on is a setup to
recirculate most of the turbo's output during cruising, the intent
being to increase mass flow and decrease pressure ratio, which
translates to a higher rpm point on the compressor map. (Draw
thru cruises at high PR and low mass flow, which is also a high
rpm point.)

I was wondering if people had comments about how to aim the
recirculation tube into the compressor inlet. I recall someone
mentioning that properly aiming the BOV tube had a noticable
effect on keeping the turbine spooled during shifts. I think the
same principle is at work here, and I'd really like to hear what
people have to say about this.

It may turn out that venting, rather than recirculating, the air is
a better way to go, but I have to try one or the other first, and
my feeling is that recirc is the way to go.

In a more general sense I think it'd be interesting to discuss
any other ways to keep a turbo spooled up, especially ones that
make more efficient use of things we might already have.

   Chris C.