Honda/NGK O2 sensor part # versus Horiba/NGK O2 sensor part #s

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri Jun 16 04:08:44 GMT 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 02:25:39 +0200, "Axel Rietschin"
<Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com> wrote:

>I've a set of melted pistons here to attest they are definitely not the
>same. My ECU has a direct NTK input and I was using the Honda part with it.
>The reading was 0.86 while the actual lambda was around 0.95, fatal at high
>load on my turbocharged Cosworth YBT engine. I've swapped the sensor for the
>expensive one sold by the ECU vendor and my engine runs perfectly fine now
>(with new pistons, of course!)
>
>Axel

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 02:52:21 +0200, "Axel Rietschin"
<Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com> wrote:

>> How exactly did you switch sensors?.
>> The Honda comes with a calibration resistor, so depending on how it's used
>> there might be some calibration differences.
>
>I've changed the sensor and the calibration resistor, which comes with every
>sensor.
>
>> Grumpy
>
>Axel

Ya know, I've been watching the events of the last few days with a sad
bit of tragic-comedic angst, from all the misinformation flying around.
First we have a loudmouth guy pop onto the list that claims he's going
to build an AFR interface using the Honda/NTK sensor, says all the
necessary info is there publically for the pickins, and then puts up a
web page in which he gives out at least THREE likely-to-be-fatal pieces
of bullshit, regarding the pumping current range (he gives figures that
are WAY OFF what those sensors take), AND has the audacity to publish a
completely bogus curve relating AFR to that already phoney range of Ip,
which curve he must have invented himself totally outta thin air, it's
soooo completely wrong. Finish that off with a schematic (without
values!) that you can't even CONNECT to the Honda/NTK sensor! (Guess why
you often find those kind of circuits in patents? :) And then asks for
comments/reports from others on how this works for them! Geez, go ahead
and lite that cigar with your hundred dollar bill. Be my guest, but
don't blame me later for not warning you. If you follow what he's put
out, you WILL fry your sensor. I don't have anything against a homebrew
project (hell, EGOR started out with that intent), but I sure have a
problem with putting out bogus 'info'.

Now we have the sad case above, where Axel missed earlier warnings,
tried to swap out sensors, and melts some pistons on his Cosworth. Argh.

I've also taken great pains to warn people not to either prematurely buy
sensors until we knew EGOR was going to happen (so nobody wasted their
money on a mere 'hope'), and even when EGOR was certain, warned *again*
against ignorantly playing with the sensors by forcing voltages or
currents on them, when others have posted conjectures and loose theories
about what makes them tick. I would have thot yous guys had better
judgment on who's informing you versus just shooting off their mouths.

Fry pistons or sensors, you have only yourselves to blame for not
listening well, or for being unable to distinguish fairy-tales from
substance. I've tried to inform you as best I could. Either way, it's
your own dang fault.

Last but not least, I gotta say this again; if yous guys dork with one
of these sensors and then later expect it to work properly with EGOR,
all bets are off. Ya been amply cautioned.

Sorry for your loss, Axel. In your case, you just got caught by a
vendor's sneakiness; an innocent mistake. In the case of the guy
spreading the bull about the Honda sensors, it's not innocent. When you
claim to know something you don't, you're frigging LYING, dood.

I feel a vacation coming on. See y'all around. The times, they are a
changin.

Gar