Electronic Transmission Control

MysticZ lt1_z28 at houston-f-body.org
Thu Mar 9 04:44:46 GMT 2000

nacelp wrote:

> >From your responses, I'll just bow out here, to avoid a flame war.
> Just look at the history of the trannies, and the answers are there.

Now look at the current engines. 340 horsepower from the factory needs a
wide spread of gears to make the car practical. If you make first gear
high and gear it to get the 0-60s you want, you wind up redlining in 4th
at 120 mph with tons of throttle left. Put in a low first gear, gear it
moderately, and have an overdrive 4th and you have a car that will
exceed the traction limits of any street tire on the planet and still
cruise at 2000 rpm while getting 25 mpg. If you're building a strip only
car, that's a different story entirely. You only have 1/4 mile to deal
with and to get the absolute best performance in that 1/4 mile you have
to ignore the road past that since you'll be at idle anyway.
--
Steve
97 Chevy Camaro Z28, Mystic teal, A4, not stock