Old 486 Board for ECU? Why?

Diehl, Jeffrey jdiehl at sandia.gov
Mon May 1 20:53:16 GMT 2000

Yes, the PC form factor is bad.  However, it can be improved.  I can get a
Baby AT motherboard which is about the size of my present ECU chassis.
Instead of an ISA card, how about an ISA ribbon cable connected to another
motherboard-sized card mounted in pancake fashion.  Power conditioning could
(probably) be done with a few regulators and some discrete components.  If
not, put it all in the engine compartment.

Then you get a case for this beast at your local RadioShack, say 3x8x8.  I'm
nost sure of the size off hand, but mount it on rubber feet.

My main interest in this subject is because I understand the hardware and
software involved.  I also see so much more that can be done with a general
computer as opposed to a tailored computer.  However, I'm just a newbie and
have much to learn.  I'll keep listening. ;^)

Mike Diehl,
MR-2, '87na