DIY_EFI Digest V5 #168

Peter D. Hipson mail at darkstar.mv.com
Mon May 1 20:56:49 GMT 2000

Two items (ok, maybe four...) First I meant to say "the typical ECU has the
power of one of the original..."

Next power good comes from the power supply, and not the motherboard. Power
good is used to reset the motherboard to a known state when it is powered
up. This line will change state after the powersupply voltages are stable.
Power good doesn't care about -12 or -5 volts, either, in many
powersupplies powergood is run through a timer and a few gates--timer goes
off, and the gates ensure that there is +5V.

Not all systems will fail post if the -5/-12 is not present (btw: noone
uses the -5 volts--it was used for old style PC ram chips, and hasn't been
used since...) however the current drain from the -12 volt supply is
nominal. A cheap (they are about $10 converter can be used, they are
available with +12 in giving -12V out. CHeap and easy...

Java??? We don't need no stinking Java... <bg> I'd use either C or
assembler. Probably C is the best choice since it is powerful yet easy to
use. Develop under windows then port to plain DOS as needed for the final
product.