X86 for ECU

Mike from West Australia erazmus at wantree.com.au
Wed May 3 04:10:16 GMT 2000

At 08:55 AM 2/5/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>This has been an interesting thread and I'd like to add my 2 cents worth
based on my
>experience developing an ECU for Honda engines that no longer have a
distributor.

>I used an 8051 varient running at 16MHz so the instruction speed was
0.75uS.

<rest snipped for brevity>

I agree with all you say and thanks very much for taking the trouble to
post this most interesting approach. I think the powers that be - ie the
Manufacturer's and some development firms are predisposed to make EFI
sound far more complex then it really is and software can do a heck of
a lot of work with timers capable of interrupt generation.

There is the Scenix processor - which uses mostly software and a high
speed core (50MHZ), with 100MHz coming and great interrupt structure,
so I am told, to handle such issues.

People should not be misled that because various companies push dedicated
hardware that its really necessary. You can get quite fine timing with
a fast processor and one or two timers etc.

Thanks again for the comments,

Rgds

Mike Massen

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia)
Remote Area Power System   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

Editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"