Virus Warning

mark koenig mrkk at execpc.com
Thu May 4 20:57:50 GMT 2000

Bob Tom wrote:

> At 03:06 PM 5/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >I don't like sending this stuff to the list but this one
> >is a nasty virus.  <snip>
>
> Don't open the attachment in a message called ILOVEYOU.
<snip>
> out.  People using MS Outlook for email and who have automatic opening of
> attachments are the big losers as it sucks up the addresses and sends mail
> to everyone in it.  It overwrites images and MP3 files.

Correction: If you receive a message with 'ILOVEYOU' in the subject
line,
DON'T OPEN IT!!

The virus attacks MSExchange mail servers (which includes just about
anybody running MSOutlook or MSOffice), and IF you have 'preview pane'
enabled (which I understand is the default), the damage will be done
without you having to specifically open any attachment.

Also: it does NOT overwrite all images.  It does overwrite SOME files,
but recent tests have discovered that it only marks some files as
'hidden'.

And, just to be accurate, it is a Trojan Horse, not a Virus.  That's
not much consolation to those that got whacked, I know.  Last I heard,
it had taken down Mail Servers at NASA, the CIA, and CNBC, just to
name a few.