Virus Warning

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Thu May 4 21:42:29 GMT 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Matt Cramer wrote:

> 	What I really wonder about is the claim I've seen elsewhere that this
> virus can "infect" JPEG, MPEG, and similar files.  Do they just mean it
> corrupts them?  I wouldn't expect a program that reads images or video to
> interpret any of the file as executable code unless it's very badly written.
> 	Yet another time I'm glad I use Eudora... I haven't heard of this vbs type
> of virus ever being compatible with Eudora!
>
> Matt Cramer

It puts itself in place of jpg, mp3, cc, and .js files and probably a
couple of others.

If you click from certain MS Programs it will run as a vb script even
though it does not have thecorrect extension.   I cannot seem to
duplicate it, but too many good sources have said that this does work
this way on some of the applications, ie the application does not
entirely work off of the extension.

I suspect that from a real jpg viewer it would just think it was a
corrupte file, but if you were using ie to view them it may well do
bad things.

			Roger