Old 486 Board for ECU? Why?

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Fri May 5 14:14:29 GMT 2000

>Sorry, makes no sense to me when you can buy any GM ecm for 50.00
>at any junkyard or a reman for 100 and change.

Acadamia is a major part of it.  But, I am going to be doing singificantly
more than making pistons move.  Much more.

>If you are going to put this in a car it will be an expensive kludge.

Kludge, yes.  Expensive, no.  Not yet anyway.

>You are going to build a  one-off ISA card, with all the hardware to
>properly condition the power, do all the control functions, a
>watchdog,etc. custom enclosure and harness, then 100's of hours of
>code?????

I've built this out of "stuff I have" except for the isa card that executes
what the PC does.  So far, mostly free samples, a few favors and its not
cost me all that much.  For me to learn the 68HC11 on the necessary level to
do what I'm trying to do, my learning curve would be much longer.  FOr me,
(and apparently only me), this works.

>Are you going to mass produce these things? Doubt it. That is the only
>way this project could ever be cost effective.

This is not my intention.  However, I could very easily.

>The target GM ECU would be running HC11 of course.

Yes, I do agree in this aspect.

>Your card means little to the rest of the world, even if you make the
>design free and give away the circuit boards.   It will still be a
>kludge running on a cheap motherboard.

Okay, don't copy my idea, not a problem :)  Really, my point in discussing
this to the level that I have, was not to say "Jim, if you don't follow my
idea you are full of shit".  All I've attempted to do, and maybe my word
choices were not what they should have been, was to describe what I'm doing,
the reasons why I chose what I chose, and say for me, it works.  That is all
:)

>To make this concept real world, the final version would have to be
>on an industrial controller, and I think any cost
>benefit is long gone by then.

For me, its easy to reconfigure, its a platform that I know fairly well, and
my learning curve is much short.  Regardless of platform I have to learn the
EFI timing/injection portion, so using a platform I know, have access to
parts, etc, eliminates that as a show stopper (for me).