test bench was Re: Old 486 Board for ECU? Why?

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Fri May 5 14:09:05 GMT 2000

There are more benefits than what is obvious.  For something like an ECM, in
a car, full time, its gross overkill.  A motorola or hitachi or zilog
process, as the OEMs use, is cheaper, easier to manufacture, smaller, and
certainly as plug and play.  Change code, change wiring harness, start car.
This is what the OEMs do, as we all know.

The main advantage for me, is I have boxes of these things.  I also
understand the architecture fairly well.  I'm in the
PC/LAN/Infrastructure/Server industry.  My learning curve is much smaller
than if I attemted to solder together the EFI332 project.

And that's cool :)