Dual TBI setup

Steve Cauffiel cauffiel at erols.com
Mon May 8 19:25:14 GMT 2000

QUOTE:
How much honest HP ya wanna make?.
Grumpy

> Has anyone ever tried (or know of someone who did) a dual OEM TBI setup on
a SBC?  Just throw it on a dual carb-type single plane manifold.  Someone
mentioned it on the Third-gen board and it has really got me wondering.  By
itself a single TBI won't pull in the air or inject the fuel to keep a 383
going, but a dual setup would...  I wouldn't think that there would be too
much to "fab" up...  some linkage, something to monitor/combine both TPS's
(or just run one)... anything else?  Maybe just block off one of the IAC's
and let the computer just control the one...  I'm interested in this because
> I happen to already have two of them, and don't want to shell out the cash
($2000'ish) for an Edelbrock/Holley system..

REPLY:
	Well, just shy of a thousand would be nice.  Seriously, I really aint
looking for HP, rather have torque (450ish).  What do you figger this would
get?  The TBI's from the 454's flowed (correct me if I'm wrong) around
640cfm - So that would theoretically flow about 1300 with two of 'em.  I
would think that would be plenty of air, as for fuel - I don't know.  I've
been looking through my archives of this list for that thread a while back
that stated what these injectors flowed but I haven't found it yet.  I think
it was something like 80 lbs, but don't quote me on that.  If that is the
case, 80 X 4 is a bit of fuel...  I believe someone also posted the amount
of flow per horsepower but I haven't found that yet either.  Do you think
the ECU would handle it?  Looking forward to your thoughts...

Steve