Help on turbo app.

Jörgen Karlsson jurg at pp.sbbs.se
Tue May 9 15:09:10 GMT 2000

Do you have a blow off valve?
This is a very common effect if you have a non circulating blow off valve on
a car with an air meter.

When you shift the air meter is still measures the same amount of air
because the air exits through the BOV. The car is actually running very
rich. After that the O2 sensor is not working proprerly for a few seconds,
showing a lean mixture of course.

The O2 sensors I have run into shows the same value at very lean and very
rich mixture, not a damn thing that is... At high exhaust temperature the
meters can work with a richer mixture then they can do when they are cold.

When you get of the throttle and the engine only runs along with closed
injectors a lean condition is to expect.

I perfer an exhaust gas temp meter over a O2 meter, when used together you
start wondering what the O2 meter is doing. I look forward to compare a wide
band O2 sensor and a conventional sensor. I would guess that 14.5:1 AFR at
1100F EGT and 13:1 AFR at 900F EGT give the same O2 sensor voltage... Any
comments?

Jörgen Karlsson
Gothenburg, Sweden