Self programming ECU's?

Chris Wilson chris at formula3.demon.co.uk
Sat May 13 20:59:24 GMT 2000

This is not strictly a DIY question, but you guys have the knowledge on
all things ECU wise, so here goes. I have seen at least one (Autronics)
ECU that claims self programming capability from wide band O2 sensor
signals. Is this technology viable, and in its current state, reliable
and trustworthy. In particular could it self map reliably to a modified
Nissan Skyline R33 engine, when it has bigger turbos, different cams,
and bigger injectors? Before getting too excited, I have a feeling this
is almost too good to be true.

How does it self map the ignition? Or is it fuel map only? Any personal
experiences?

The system I am talking about is discussed at the following web site:

http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/autotune.html

Thanks for any input.

              Best Regards,
                      Chris Wilson