Ignition Timings

Corner Paul Paul.Corner at icl.com
Wed May 17 14:51:23 GMT 2000

Hi All

I've been messing about with the ignition side of my ECU, writing new code
and grafting it to the fuelling software....
Working out the initial advance tables from the original advance curves. I
noticed that when the data is converted from degrees/RPM to mSec before TDC,
it remains fairly constant from tickover to 4500 RPM.
Question is - can I use this time constant up to, say 6500 RPM, rather than
messing around with look up tables etc. Perhaps, at a later stage, when the
engine is running and the hardware has been tested, the software can be
rewritten to use look up tables. It really depends on how much advance is
required above 4500 RPM.

Regards, Paul.