Ignition Timings

Tracy S. Cummings tsc at nauticom.com
Tue May 23 03:12:15 GMT 2000

the timing is constant because flame propagation is relatively constant (I
know that there are a lot of variables that affect this but for this
conversation they are not to critical). If our goal is to have combustion
pressure at its most effective point when the piston and connecting rod are
at the point of having the best mechanical advantage over the crank shaft
then we must ignite the fuel at some point "x" time in advance. this point
"X" is based on the burn rate of the fuel, gasoline is a popular fuel
because it burns relatively quickly, in the past kerosene was a popular fuel
but kerosene burns slowly, so slowly that it really limits the max rpm. the
faster the fuel burns the shorter the duration "x" can be. unfortunately
fuels with short burn times are also known as explosives. To sum this all up
as rpm's increase the ignition event starts at the same point of time "X" in
advance of tdc, but this is not easy to measure so degrees before tdc was
chosen because of the ease in measurment. they are the same thing when you
correct for the increasing rotational velocity.
john cummings