Underhood temperatures

John Dammeyer johnd at autoartisans.com
Fri May 26 15:14:34 GMT 2000

> Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:14:04 -0700
> From: garwillis at msn.com (Garfield Willis)
> Subject: Re: Underhood temperatures.
>
> I honestly don't know why you would say 4 inches  "wasn't that near the
> exhaust manifold". Sounds WAY too near to me. Stretch your thumb and
> forefinger out; 4" isn't really much of a distance. Brake lines that far
> away from exhaust manifolds have caused severe problems. Live and learn.
>
> Gar

Hi Gar,

I quite agree that 4" is way too close.  We didn't mount them or tell them where to mount
the box.  But when we looked at it before running the installation it just didn't click.
In hindsight,  I must have just seen the heat radiate sideways from the block and header
and not forward.  Silly really.  As soon as I felt the box and looked at the position the
lightbulb went on.  The difficult part was convincing the customer that the box was in a
poor position.  Ultimately,  the boxes were moved inside the cabin of the craft out of the
salt water spray and harsh outdoor environment.  After that the injection problems were
things like silicone, filings and teflon tape in the fuel supply which would block the
fuel and cause spark plug and valve burning.  (Of course that was the boxes fault).  The
customer did not practice 'clean room' techniques while building the fuel system.  One of
the service guys cut apart a RACCOR fuel filter that had been cleaned and flushed and it
was filled solid with RTV bits and metal filings.  Then they opened up the tank and found
even more crap.  We think some of the lean conditions were due to the pump inlet being
blocked up.

Cheers,

John