Ignition only

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Fri Nov 10 19:30:44 GMT 2000

Ohm's law directly aplies only to circuits which contain purely resistive
elements.  If you take your ohmmeter and apply it to the "terminals" of a
spark plug you should find infinite resistance.  The spark plug works by
ionizing the material in the gap to form a conductive path by supplying a
high enough potential across the electrodes.  It is the voltage required to
ionize the insulating material between the electrodes that changes with the
density of that material.

You are most definitely correct in your last statement though ... assuming
that it is a perfect serial circuit.  Whatever current is running through
the gap on the "active" plug is also flowing through the plug receiving the
"wasted spark."

HTH!
Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)