Communicating with an ECU

Orin orin
Tue Nov 28 22:07:41 GMT 2000

This may work if there isn't a lot of real-time data being displayed.
These programs work one of two ways - all display calls are sent
to the controlling PC (LapLink) or the controlled PC scans its display
for changes every so often and sends the changes to the controlling PC.
With a rapidly changing screen, the former method can get backed up
and eventually, it will delay the controlled PC while it sends
all the data.  The latter method can simply miss some changes.

Personally, I wouldn't want to write a program to redirect to/from
a modem.  It's more than getting a good Windows programming book...
it's learning about TAPI too (though there is a book on this).
At best, dealing with modems and serial ports on Windows 9x is
messy.  At worst, you lose a lot of hair... I should know, I've
written code that can talk directly to modems and code that uses
TAPI.  I've also done some VxD level serial programming.  It's not
something that I want to do any more of.

So, if LapLink or PC Anywhere will do the trick, that's the way
I'd go.

Orin.