Communicating with an ECU

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 29 00:50:13 GMT 2000

Orin tapped away at the keyboard with:

> This may work if there isn't a lot of real-time data being displayed.
> These programs work one of two ways - all display calls are sent
> to the controlling PC (LapLink) or the controlled PC scans its display
> for changes every so often and sends the changes to the controlling PC.
> With a rapidly changing screen, the former method can get backed up
> and eventually, it will delay the controlled PC while it sends
> all the data.  The latter method can simply miss some changes.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't want to write a program to redirect to/from
> a modem.  It's more than getting a good Windows programming book...
> it's learning about TAPI too (though there is a book on this).
> At best, dealing with modems and serial ports on Windows 9x is
> messy.  At worst, you lose a lot of hair... I should know, I've
> written code that can talk directly to modems and code that uses
> TAPI.  I've also done some VxD level serial programming.  It's not
> something that I want to do any more of.
>
> So, if LapLink or PC Anywhere will do the trick, that's the way
> I'd go.
>
> Orin.

Sounds like the earlier suggestion to hook the modem directly to the
ECU as being far more attractive.

The only other sane option would be to run some operating system
such as Unix/Linux on the PC to allow easy interfacing to serial
ports. In fact; it's a no-programming solution if you just want to
see the data coming out and enter some keystrokes to control the
ECU. Just dial-in, login and then "cu" to the line connected to the
serial port.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |