looking for air bypass solenoid

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Tue Oct 10 19:48:30 GMT 2000

Most cars have some kind of A.I.R. pump, along with a diverter valve
that is used for pumping air into the exhaust manifolds or cat
converter.  I know the motor in my S-10 Blazer, a 5.7TBI from a '91
Caprice, has one that is electrically controlled by the ECM.  Don't know
if it's on/off or variable flow but it may work.  You can recognize it
by starting and the AIR fittings on the exhaust manifold (if any) and
working back to the valve.  I have no idea if this will work for you,
though.

--steve

Aribert_Neumann at magna.on.ca wrote:

> I am looking for an economically priced air bypass solenoid.  I would consider
> either one that operates with a uniform voltage (on/off) or one that is capable
> of using a variable voltage that would yield proportional air bypass.  Is there
> anything that was used domestically - Ford, GM or Chrysler -  that I could pick
> up from my local auto supply store?  Maybe such a solenoid was used for A/C (on)
> idle control?  My knowledge of available sensors / solenoids is very limited.  I
> am looking to add the equivalent of an electric choke to my Motronic M1.5
> adaption to an Isuzu 2.3L to increase the rpm for the first few minutes of
> operation.
>
> If so, year range, engine family and model of the potential donor vehicle
> please.  Thanks in advance.

Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com
ARM,Inc.